Origins of Rice Krispies Treats
Rice Krispies Treats (also called Rice Krispie Treats, RKTs, Rice Krispies squares, bars, buns or cakes, Marshmallow Treats, or Marshmallow Squares) are a confection commonly made through binding Kellogg’s Rice Krispies or another crisp rice cereal together with butter or margarine and marshmallow. While traditionally home-made, Kellogg’s began to market the treats themselves in 1995. Rice Krispies Treats were invented in 1939 by Malitta Jensen and Mildred Day at the Kellogg Company home economics department as a fund raiser for Camp Fire Girls. Kellogg’s began to commercially produce plain and chocolate-based treats under the trademark brand-names of “Rice Krispies Treats” (in the U.S. and Mexico), “Squares” (in Canada, Ireland and the U.K.) and “LCMs” (in Australia and New Zealand) in 1995; however, other manufacturers had offered similar products under variant names (such as “Crisped Rice Treats” or “Marshmallow Treats”) prior to this. Kellogg’s has also offered a breakfast cereal based on the confection since the 1990s.
- 15 oz of Mini Marshmallows (one and a half 10 oz bags)
- 4 Tbsp (57 grams) of Cannabutter
- 6 cups (150 grams) of Rice Cereal
- Pinch of Cannasalt (Use regular salt if not available)
- 2 tsp of Vanilla Extract
- In a large pot, add the butter,once melted, add the marshmallows and a small pinch of salt and cook on low while constantly stirring until fully melted, stir in the vanilla. Use a wooden spoon or heatproof spatula for the best results.
- Add the cereal, stir everything together really well and using damp hands, press the mixture in a 9×9 pan that’s been lined with parchment paper, allow to set and cool then cut and serve!
- Preparation time 15 minutes. Makes about 16 squares.
In this video, I used 4 tablespoons of cannabutter. For this batch, it was 560 mgs of THC. This recipe made 16 squares which means each Rice Krispies Treat has 35 mgs of THC in it. To see how to calculate edible dosage watch the video below